- 6 C. chicken broth or stock
- 1 med. yellow onion, finely chopped
- 3/4 lb. lean ground pork, crumbled
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 1/2 tsp. rubbed sage leaves
- 1 tsp. dried marjoram leaves
- 1/2 tsp. dried thyme leaves
- 1/4 tsp. fresh ground pepper
- 1/8 tsp. ground cloves
- 1 1/4 C. yellow cornmeal
- flour for dusting
- 2 Tbs. light vegetable (canola) oil or bacon drippings
In a large 5 quart stock pot or Dutch-type oven, bring the chicken broth to a rapid boil over a medium-high heat. Add the onion and pork to the hot liquid, stirring to break up the pork. Stir in the next 6 ingredients. Reduce the heat and let simmer about 5 minutes, then return the liquid to a boil and gradually stir in the cornmeal, stirring constantly until mixture is thick and smooth (about 5 minutes).Spoon the mixture into a sprayed 9 X 5 inch loaf pan. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerate at least 2 hours. Slice the scrapple into 3/4 inch slices and lightly dust each with flour. In a large skillet or fry pan, heat the oil or drippings over a medium-high heat. Add the floured slices and fry, turning about 2 minutes per side. Serve with syrup.
Makes 8 servings.