Southern Style Black-Eyed Peas
Serving Size / Yield
- 8 Ounces Dried Black-eyed Peas
- 4 Cups Water
- 2 Cups Water
- 2 Ounces Cooked, smoked lean ham, diced
- 1 Green Onion, Finely chopped
- 1/4 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Fresh Serrano Chile Pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
- 2 Cups of White Long Grain Rice
Start by rinsing black-eyed peas with cold water.
Combine peas and the 4 cups water in a large saucepan.
Bring to a boil, then reduce heat.
Let simmer for 2 minutes, then remove from heat.
Cover and let stand for 1 hour.
Put on pot of white long grain rice and cook for about an hour.
Drain and rinse peas, then drain again.
Return peas to saucepan and stir in the 2 cups water, ham, onion, salt, and serrano pepper.
Bring to a boil and reduce heat to medium/low.
Cover and simmer for about an hour or until peas are tender.
Serve with rice and beans on top.