Southwestern Black Bean Burgers
Serving Size / Yield
- 1 can (15 to 19 oz.) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 Tbs. light mayonnaise
- 1/4 C. packed fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1 Tbs. plain dried bread crumbs
- 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. hot pepper sauce
- nonstick cooking spray
- 1 C. loosely packed sliced lettuce
- 4 mini (4-inch) whole-wheat pitas, warmed
- 1/2 C. mild salsa
In large bowl, with potato masher or fork, mash beans with mayonnaise until almost smooth with some lumps. Stir in cilantro, bread crumbs, cumin and pepper sauce until combined. With lightly floured hands, shape bean mixture into four 3-inch round patties. Spray both sides of each patty lightly with nonstick cooking spray.
Heat 10-inch skillet over medium heat until hot. Add patties and cook until lightly browned, about 3 minutes. With pancake turner, turn patties over, and cook until heated through, 3 minutes longer.
Arrange lettuce on pitas; top with burgers then salsa.
Each sandwich: About 210 calories, 13g protein, 42g carbohydrate, 3g total fat (0g sat.), 0mg cholesterol, 715mg sodium.