Spaghetti Squash with Basil and Red Peppers
- 1 spaghetti squash, about 2 lbs.
- 3 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil or butter
- 2 medium red bell peppers (capsicum), cored, seeded, and thinly sliced
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1/3 C. fresh basil leaves, very thinly sliced (chiffonade)
- 1/4 C. toasted pine nuts (pignoli)
Prick the squash four or five times with the tip of a knife to prevent it from bursting and bake in a 350F (180C) oven until soft to the touch, 45 minutes to 1 hour. Slice the squash in half immediately to stop the cooking and separate the strands of flesh by "combing"
them with a fork, scooping them out until only the skin remains. Heat the oil in a skillet over moderate heat and sauté the peppers until slightly tender, about 3 minutes. Combine the squash, peppers, salt, and pepper in a bowl and toss to mix well. Sprinkle with basil chiffonade and top with toasted pine nuts. Serves 4 to 6.