Spiced Sirloin Shepherd's Pie
Serving Size / Yield
- 1 1/2 cup carrots, diced (about 3 carrots)
- 1 C. celery, diced
- 1 lg. onion, minced
- 1 C. white button mushrooms, sliced
- 6 Tbs. butter, divided
- 1 10- oz. bag frozen peas, thawed
- 1 lb. sirloin roast, cooked and diced
- 2 tsp. fresh oregano
- 1 tsp. fresh sage, minced
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 3 Tbs. all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 C. turkey stock
- 6 C. leftover mashed potatoes
- 3 Tbs. parmesan cheese, grated
Heat oven to 350 degrees.
Melt half of the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add carrots, celery, onions, and mushrooms. Cook until vegetables soften, about 10 minutes. Add beef, peas, sirloin, thyme, sage, salt, and pepper. Mix well and set aside.
Melt the remaining butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add flour and cook, stirring for 2 minutes. Add stock slowly and bring to a low boil. Reduce heat and allow sauce to thicken, about 3 minutes. Add sauce to vegetable mixture and mix well. Transfer the beef mixture to a greased 9-by-13-by-2-inch casserole dish.
Spoon the mashed potatoes over the vegetable mixture, spreading gently to cover. Sprinkle the potatoes with parmesan cheese. Bake until the potatoes are lightly browned, about 1 hour.