Spicy Beans and Rice
- 1 1/2 C. water
- 1/2 C. uncooked brown rice
- 2 (15 oz.) cans black beans, undrained
- 2 fresh jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1 tsp. ground cumin, or to taste
- 1 Tbs. chili powder, or to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- 1/2 C. shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 2 fresh green onions, chopped
- 1/2 (2 oz.) can sliced black olives, drained
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a saucepan bring the water to a boil. Add rice and stir. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 40 minutes. Meanwhile, pour beans into a 2 qt. casserole. Sprinkle with jalapenos, cumin, chili powder and black pepper. Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes. Sprinkle with cheese, green onions and olives. Bake for 5 to 10 minutes more. Serve beans over cooked rice.
Yield: 6 Servings.