Spicy Black Bean Cakes
- Lime Sour Cream:
- 1/2 C. reduced fat sour cream
- 2 tsp. fresh lime juice
- 1 sm. fresh jalapeno pepper, minced
- salt to taste
- Black Bean Cakes:
- 2 Tbs. olive oil, divided
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- 6 cloves garlic, pressed
- 2 fresh jalapeno peppers, finely diced
- 1 Tbs. ground cumin
- 2 14.5-oz. cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 2 C. grated raw sweet potato
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 C. plain dried bread crumbs
To prepare lime sour cream, mix the sour cream, lime juice, 1 small minced jalapeno, and salt together in a small bowl. Cover, and refrigerate.
For black bean cakes:
Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a small skillet over medium heat. Cook green onions until softened, about 1 minute. Stir in garlic, 2 diced jalapenos, and cumin; cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Transfer contents of skillet to a large bowl. Stir in black beans, and mash with a fork. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Mix in sweet potatoes, egg, and bread crumbs. Divide into 8 balls, and flatten into patties.
In the oven, set cooking rack about 4 inches from heat source. Set oven to broil. Lightly grease baking sheet with 1 tablespoon oil.
Place bean patties on baking sheet, and broil 8-10 minutes. Turn cakes over, and broil until crispy, about 3 minutes more. Serve with lime sour cream.