Spinach and Feta Pie Pocket
Serving Size / Yield
- 2 lb. fresh spinach, washed, dried, trimmed, and coarsely chopped
- 3 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 bunch scallions (about 3 oz. or 10 small), white and light-green parts only, trimmed and finely chopped
- 2 cups crumbled feta cheese (10 oz.)
- 1/2 cup finely grated Greek kefalotyri cheese or Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh dill
- 1/3 cup finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1/4 tsp. freshly grated nutmeg
- Kosher or fine sea salt
- Bread crust:
- 5 C all purpose flour
- 4 Tbs dry yeast
- 1 3/4 C water
Preheat the oven to 375°.
To make filling, heat a 10-inch straight-sided saute pan over medium-high heat; add a few large handfuls of the spinach and cook, while tossing gently. Add more handfuls of spinach as the earlier addition start to wilt, and cook until all spinach is bright green, about 4 minutes. Transfer the spinach to a colander, let cool slightly and squeeze its excess liquid out with your hands.
Dry the pan with a paper towel and heat oil in it over medium heat. Add scallions and cook about 4 minutes. Stir in the spinach, remove from heat and let cool for 5 minutes. Then stir in cheeses, dill, parsley, nutmeg, and salt, then and mix thoroughly.
To make the pie dough, combine flour, salt, yeast and water together in bowl, stir together, and then knead into an elastic yet well-mixed dough. Place dough in a large bowl and let rise, covered, in a warm place for an hour until it doubles in size.
Use a rolling pin to roll dough out to a 1/2-inch thickness.
Sprinkle the spinach and feta onto the middle of the dough and wrap the dough over the meat, pinching and rolling the edges together to seal the pie. Place pie on a baking sheet and let sit for 20 minutes.
Cut several slits in the dough of the pie so air can circulate. Bake in oven until the top crust is golden brown, or for 40 minutes. Let cool until just warm.