Spinach White Mac and Cheese
Serving Size / Yield
- 3 Tbs. butter
- 1/2 C. onion, diced fine
- 1/3 C. flour
- 2 C. whole milk
- 2 C. 2% milk
- sea salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 C. spinach leaves, cut into strips
- 1 C. shredded sharp white cheddar cheese
- 2/3 C. shredded smoked Gouda
- 1/3 C. crumbled goat cheese
- 3/4 lb. elbow macaroni, cooked
In a large saucepan, melt the butter and saute the onion for 5 minutes, or until soft. Whisk in the flour until the mixture is golden. Add in the whole milk, whisking constantly. Add in the 2% milk, raise the heat to medium-high, and bring to a boil. Whisk continuously until the sauce is smooth and thick, about 10 to 12 minutes. Add a sprinkle of salt and pepper.
Add the spinach to the sauce. Stir until the spinach is wilted. Stir in the cheeses until melted and well combined. Add in the cooked pasta and stir. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.