Steak and Sweet Onion Salad
- 1 lb. flank steak
- 1-1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
- 4 C. leaf lettuce torn into bite-size pieces
- 1 medium sweet onion, thinly sliced to measure about 2 C.
- 2 C. thinly sliced cucumber
- 1 C. thinly sliced sweet red bell pepper
- 3 Tbs. lime juice
- 1 tsp. soy sauce
- 1 to 2 cloves finely minced fresh garlic
- 1 tsp. freshly grated ginger root (optional)
- 1/4 C. extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp. toasted sesame oil
- About 1/3 C. shredded Parmesan cheese
Season steak with about 1/4 tsp. of the salt and 1/8 tsp. of the ground black pepper. Grill over hot coals or a gas flame, turning once, until cooked to desired doneness. (Alternatively, broil 1 to 2 inches from the heating element in oven, until desired doneness). Remove from heat source and let the meat sit for 5 minutes (or longer) while you prepare the dressing and salad. In a large salad bowl, combine the lettuce, onion, cucumber, and bell peppers; set aside in the refrigerator. In a small bowl, whisk together the lime juice, soy sauce, garlic, ginger, remaining 1/8 tsp. of black pepper, and about 1/4 tsp. of the remaining salt. Whisk in the olive oil and sesame oil; taste and adjust seasonings. When ready to serve, cut the meat into thin slices, across the grain and slightly on the diagonal (that will create the most tender slice). Toss the dressing with the chilled salad, sprinkle in about 1/4 C. of the shredded Parmesan cheese and toss again. Arrange one fourth of the mixture on each of 4 dinner plates. Divide the slices of meat between the salads, arranging them attractively around and on the lettuce. Top each salad with a portion of the remaining shredded Parmesan and serve immediately.