Strawberry Chicken Salad with Hoisin-Sesame Dressing
- 1 lb. Driscoll's strawberries
- 3/4 lb. smoked chicken, cut in bite-sized chunks or 12-14 oz. boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut in chunks and sautéed in small amount of butter or lightly poached
- 3/4 C. julienne strips jicama
- 3/4 C. thinly sliced fennel bulb
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 1/2 lb. mixed baby greens, washed, dried and chilled
- 1 2-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled
- 1 clove garlic, peeled
- 1 medium shallot, peeled
- 1/2 C. rice vinegar
- 1/2 C. light soy sauce
- 1/4 C. sugar
- 2 Tbs. Hoisin sauce
- 2 Tbs. toasted sesame seeds
- 1 Tbs. sesame oil
- 1 Tbs. Dijon mustard
- 1/8 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1 C. vegetable oil
Rinse, drain, dry and hull strawberries and cut into halves or thick slices. In large bowl combine first 6 ingredients with about 1/2 C. Hoisin-Sesame Dressing (see below) and toss lightly to coat greens and berries. Divide among chilled salad plates to serve.
To prepare Hoisin-Sesame Dressing, put remaining ingredients except oil in blender container or food processor fitted with metal blade and blend until shallots and ginger are very finely chopped. With motor running, gradually add oil until smooth. Store dressing in refrigerator in tightly covered container. This recipe will make 2 2/3 cups of dressing.
Note: If not using blender or food processor, grate ginger and mince garlic and shallots, then whisk together with remaining ingredients.
Yield: 6 servings
Dorothy Hadler, Menasha, WI