Sweet Caramelized Brussels Sprouts with Tomatoes and Bacon
Serving Size / Yield
- 2 3/4 lb. Brussels sprouts, halved
- about 1/3 C. olive oil (plus more as needed)
- 1 C. frozen pearl onions, roughly chopped
- 8 strips bacon, chopped and cooked
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/3 C. diced tomatoes, drained
- 2 Tbs. minced sun-dried tomatoes
Boil the Brussels sprouts in salted water for 3 1/2 minutes. Depending on the size, you may need to adjust time. They should be tender but still maintain a bit of a crunch. Remove from water and run through a salad spinner (alternatively, pat dry).
Heat oil in a large cast iron skillet over medium-low. Add the pearl onions and cook for about 10 minutes or until they turn amber. Transfer to a bowl.
Add the par-boiled Brussels sprouts, and increase the heat to high. Stir every 45 seconds to one minute until they are browned and tender on all sides. This will take about 10 minutes. Add the remaining ingredients, including the cooked onions, and cover. Turn heat to lowest setting and allow to sit for at least 10 minutes or until the ingredients are warmed through out.
Season with salt and pepper as desired and serve.