Sweet-Potato and Peanut Stew
Serving Size / Yield
- 3 med. sweet potatoes (about 12 oz. each), well scrubbed and cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 Tbs. olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed with press
- 1 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp. crushed red pepper
- 2 15-19 oz. cans garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 14.5-oz. can vegetable broth
- 1/4 C. creamy peanut butter
- 1/2 C. loosely packed fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
Place potatoes in 2 1/2-quart microwave-safe dish. Cover dish and microwave on high until fork-tender, about 8 minutes.
Meanwhile, in 5- to 6-quart saucepot, heat oil over medium-high heat until hot. Add garlic, cumin, salt, cinnamon and red pepper and cook, stirring, 30 seconds. Stir in beans, broth, tomatoes and peanut butter until blended; heat to boiling and cook, stirring occasionally, 1 minute.
Reduce heat to medium-low; add sweet potatoes and simmer, stirring occasionally, 2 minutes. Stir in cilantro.
Each serving: About 585 calories, 22g protein, 92g carbohydrate, 16g total fat (2g sat.), 0mg cholesterol, 1,725 mg sodium.