Teriyaki Beef Soup
Serving Size / Yield
- 8 oz. boneless beef sirloin steak
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 1 lg. shallot, cut into thin rings
- 4 C. water
- 1 C. unsweetened apple juice
- 2 carrots, cut into matchstick strips
- 1/3 C. long-grain rice
- 1 tsp. grated fresh ginger
- 1/2 tsp. instant beef bouillon granules
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 C. coarsely chopped broccoli
- 1 to 2 Tbs. reduced-sodium teriyaki sauce
- 1 Tbs. dry sherry, optional
Trim fat from beef. Cut beef into bite-size strips. In a large saucepan heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Cook and stir beef and shallot in hot oil for 2 to 3 minutes or until beef is brown. Remove beef mixture with a slotted spoon; set aside.
In the same saucepan, combine water, apple juice, carrots, uncooked rice, ginger, bouillon granules and garlic. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, about 15 minutes or until carrots are tender.
Stir in the broccoli and beef mixture. Simmer, covered, for 3 minutes. Stir in teriyaki sauce and dry sherry, if desired.