Terrific Seafood Chowder Recipe
Serving Size / Yield
- 6 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 lg. onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 lg. carrot, chopped
- 1 tsp. red pepper flakes (optional)
- 2 C. fat-free reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 lg. potato, diced
- 1/2 C. (1/2 of 8-oz. tub) cream cheese spread
- 2 C. milk
- 1 pkg. (12-16 oz.) frozen cod fillets, thawed, drained and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 pkg. medium cooked shrimp, shelled, deveined and tails off, thawed & drained.
- Salt & pepper to taste
Cook bacon in large saucepan until crisp, stirring occasionally. Remove bacon from pan and drain on paper towels. Reserve 1 Tbs of drippings in pan. Add onion, celery, and carrot to drippings in pan. Cook on medium heat 12 to 14 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender, stirring occasionally. Add red pepper flakes, broth and potatoes; stir. Bring to boil. Cover and simmer 15 minutes or until potatoes are tender; stirring occasionally. Add cream cheese spread. Cook, uncovered, until melted, stirring frequently. Add milk, fish, shrimp and bacon; stir. Bring to boil, stirring frequently. Reduce heat to medium and cook 5 minutes or until fish flakes easily with fork. Stir in salt and pepper to taste, if necessary.