Texas Two-Step Soup Mix in a Jar
- 1 (1.61 oz.) package brown gravy mix (regular or no-fat)
- 2 Tbs. mild red chili powder
- 2 tsp. dried oregano leaves
- 1 tsp. ground cumin (optional)
- 1 tsp. dried minced onion
- 1/2 tsp. garlic salt
- 10 to 12 regular-size tortilla chips, coarsely crushed
- 1 to 14 C. uncooked small to medium-size pasta (such as wheels, shells, macaroni)
Pour gravy mix into wide-mouth pint jar. In small bowl, stir together chili powder, oregano, cumin, onion & garlic salt. Pour into jar to make second layer. Add layers of tortilla chips & pasta to fill jar. Seal with lid. Attach gift tag (below) & decorate jar as desired.
Attach a gift tag with the following instructions:
Texas Two-Step Soup
Brown 1/2 lb. ground beef in a large saucepan or Dutch oven. Add contents of jar & 7 C. water; heat to boiling. Stir in 1 (15 oz.) can corn with red & green bell peppers & 1 (16 oz.) can chopped tomatoes. Reduce heat; cover & simmer for 20 to 25 minutes or until pasta is tender, stirring occasionally. Serve with crushed tortilla chips & shredded Monterey jack cheese, if desired.
Makes 8 servings.