Thai Coconut Soup
Serving Size / Yield
- 2 sm. carrots, peeled and each cut crosswise in half
- 1/2 med. red pepper
- 1 14-oz. can lightly sweetened coconut milk, well stirred
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed with press
- 1 2-inch piece peeled fresh cut ginger, cut into 4 pieces
- 1/2 tsp. ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp. ground red pepper
- 12 oz. firm tofu, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 14.5-oz. cans vegetable broth
- 1 Tbs. Asian fish sauce (nuoc nam or nam pla)
- 1 Tbs. fresh lime juice
- 1 C. water
- 2 green onions, trimmed and sliced
- 1/2 C. fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
With vegetable peeler, remove lenthwise strips from carrots and edge of red pepper; set aside.
In 5-quart Dutch oven, heat 1/2 cup coconut milk to boiling over medium heat. Add garlic, ginger, coriander, cumin and ground red pepper and cook, stirring, 1 minutes.
Increase heat to medium-high. Stir in tofu, broth, carrot strips, pepper strips, fish sauce, lime juice, water and remaining coconut milk; heat just to simmering. Discard ginger. Just before serving, stir in green onions and cilantro.
Each serving: About 210 calories, 11g protein, 14g carbohydrate, 17g total fat (6g sat.), 0mg cholesterol, 1,060mg sodium.