The Heartiest Beef Stew
Serving Size / Yield
- 1 lb. beef, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 2 med. onions, cut in quarters
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tbs. all-purpose flour
- 2 Tbs. tomato paste
- 1 3/4 C. Swanson® Beef Broth (or Swanson® Beef Stock)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 tsp. dried thyme leaves, crushed
- 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
- 2 C. baby-cut carrots
- 2 med. potatoes, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
Season the beef as desired. Heat the oil in a 6-quart saucepot over medium-high heat. Add the beef and cook until well browned, stirring often. Remove beef from saucepot.
Add onions and garlic to saucepot and cook and stir for 1 minute. Add flour and cook and stir for 1 minute. Stir in tomato paste.
Stir the broth, bay leaf, thyme and black pepper in the saucepot and heat to a boil. Return the beef to the saucepot. Reduce the heat to low. Cover and cook for 1 1/2 hours.
Add the carrots and potatoes to the saucepot. Cover and cook for 30 minutes or until the beef is fork-tender and the vegetables are tender. Remove and discard the bay leaf.
This recipe is brought to you by Campbell's®. Make Great Meals. Get Great Smiles. It's Amazing What Soup Can Do.