Tomato Juice Cocktail
- 24 to 36 large ripe tomatoes
- 4 medium carrots
- 2 large sweet green or red peppers
- 4 stalks celery, diced, leaves included
- 2 onions, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ¼ C. lemon juice
- 2 Tbs. honey (or to taste)
- ½ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 sprigs fresh basil, dill, or thyme (optional)
Wash the tomatoes, cut out the ends, and chop into small pieces. Scrub and grate the carrots. Core, seed, and mince the peppers. Combine all the ingredients in large enamel or stainless steel pot, and simmer over low heat for 45 to 50 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are soft. Pick out the herbs. Strain the vegetables from the juice.
TO CAN: Return the strained juice to the pot, and bring to a boil. Pour into hot, scalded qt. jars, leaving ½ inch headspace. Seal and process for 30 minutes at 10 pounds pressure.
TO FREEZE: Prepare the recipe as directed. Pour the juice into freezer containers, leaving ½ inch headspace, and freeze right away. To serve, thaw in the refrigerator.