Serving Size / Yield
- 1 lb. mushrooms sliced (about 2 C.)
- 1 C. butter or margarine
- 2/3 C. butter or margarine
- 2/3 C. flour
- 7 1/2 C. milk
- 2 lbs. pasteurized process cheese spread, cubed
- 2 lbs. egg noodle fine (3 C.), cooked and drained
- 2 lbs. tuna water-packed solid white, drained
- 1 - 2 eggs hard-cooked, cut up
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 7 1/2 C. potato chip crumbled
At least 1 1/4 hours or up to 24 hours before serving: Grease a 2-quart round casserole. In a 3-quart saucepan over medium-high heat, sauté mushrooms in butter or margarine until limp; transfer to a small bowl. In same saucepan over medium heat, melt butter or margarine. Stir in flour. Cook and stir for 1 to 2 minutes. Add milk. Stirring, bring to a boil and boil until thickened. Stir in cheese until melted. Remove from heat. Stir in noodles, tuna, eggs, mushrooms, salt and pepper. Spoon into casserole. If making ahead, cover and refrigerate up to 24 hours.
Top tuna mixture with potato chips. Cover and bake in a preheated 350° oven for 20 to 30 minutes or until heated through. Uncover and bake 10 to 15 minutes longer or until chips are crisped.