Turkey Chili with Whole Wheat Orzo
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 lb. ground turkey
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 6 oz. beer of your choice (I used Goose Island Nut Brown Ale)
- 1 sm. 4-oz. can diced green chilies
- 1 sm. 6-oz. can tomato paste
- 1 28-oz. can crushed tomatoes and juice
- 1 can 15-oz. chili beans
- 1 can 15-oz. red beans
- 1 16-oz. can vegetarian baked beans
- 4 Tbs. chili powder (or more)
- 3 tsp. oregano
- 1/2 tsp. each salt and pepper
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. red chili flakes (optional)
- 1 Tbs. honey
- 1 9-oz. pkg. whole wheat orzo
Heat olive oil in saute pan. Chop onion and garlic and add to pan. Brown ground turkey in oil with onions and garlic. When cooked, drain turkey and add (with onions and garlic) to 3-qt. pot.
Pour in tomatoes, tomato paste, two cans of beans, diced green chilies, honey, and half of your beer. Season with oregano, garlic powder, paprika, red chili flakes and chili powder to your taste (see recommended amounts above). Keep tasting to see if it needs more of an ingredient. Let simmer for 60-90 minutes. Before it's done simmering, cook whole wheat orzo in boiling water. Drain and add to chili in final minutes of cooking. Serve with pita chips and beer.
Note: If making ahead of time, add 2 cans of beans during cooking and save 1 can for later when you warm it back up in a saucepan.