Turkish Kebabs with Yogurt
Serving Size / Yield
- 1/3 C. olive oil
- 1 med. onion, finely grated
- 1 tsp. crushed dried thyme
- 1 tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 2 lbs. boneless leg of lamb, trimmed of excess fat and cut into 1- to 1 ½-inch cubes
- 8 pita bread halves
- 1 C. Non-Fat Plain Voskos Greek yogurt, at room temperature
- salt to taste
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 Tbs. butter
- 2 tsp. paprika
Combine the oil, onion, thyme, 1 teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper in a large bowl and mix well.
Add the lamb cubes and turn them about to coat thoroughly with the mixture.
Cover and let stand at room temperature 2 to 3 hours or in the refrigerator 5 to 6 hours, turning the meat from time to time.
Remove the lamb cubes from the marinade and thread them on long skewers, leaving a few inches exposed at each end.
Broil, preferably over charcoal, about 15 minutes or until the lamb is richly browned outside and pink and juicy inside, turning and basting now and then with the marinade.
Arrange the pieces of bread on 4 heated dinner plates. Using a fork, push the lamb off the skewers onto the bread.
Beat the yogurt until smooth.
Season to taste with salt and pepper and spoon over the lamb.
Heat the butter and stir in the paprika. Drizzle the paprika butter over the yogurt and serve.
Recipe courtesy of Voskos Greek Yogurt.