Two Cheese Risotto with Onion
Serving Size / Yield
- 1 lg Or 2 small onions (about 2 cups)
- 2 Tbs Olive oil
- 1 C Arborio rice
- 3 C Chicken (or vegetable) broth*
- 3/4 C Whole milk (or light cream)
- 1/2 C Crumbled Gorgonzola (4 ounces) or grated Swiss
- 1/2 C Finely grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/8 tsp. Salt
- 1/8 tsp. pepper to taste
- Presentation Suggestion (Optional):
- 4 Radicchio lettuce cups
- 4 Servings steamed asparagus or green beans (cut diagonally)
- 1/2 Red bell pepper (slivered)
- 1/4 red onion, chopped
- 4 Sliced tomatoes (optional)
- *May substitute 1 cup white wine for 1 cup of broth, if desired.
Chop onions. Heat oil in large saucepan. Add rice and cook, stirring over medium heat about 3 minutes or until fragrant and toasted. Stir in broth and onion, bring slowly to a boil. Cover, reduce heat and cook for 20 minutes or until tender, stirring 2-3 times. Meanwhile, heat milk with gorgonzola cheese, stirring until cheese is softened. Add milk gorgonzola mixture and Parmesan to risotto. The consistency should be slightly soupy; if too dry, stir in more broth or milk and heat. Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve immediately as a side dish or refer to the suggestion for serving this as a main dish below.
To serve as a main dish, follow the presentation suggestions below.
For presentation suggestion, arrange radicchio cups on plates. Portion risotto into cups. Lean asparagus or green beans against risotto and sprinkle with red pepper and red onion as desired. Garnish with tomatoes.