Vegetable Baked Rotelli or Ziti
- 2 C. My Mama's Tomato Sauce, divided (see recipe below or use any sauce you prefer)
- 10 oz. shredded low fat mozzarella, divided in half
- 8 oz. low fat ricotta cheese
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 3/4 C. grated cheese, divided
- 1 egg, beaten (or imitation), optional
- 1 lbs. cooked rotelli (or other short pasta you like)
- 1 Tbs. dried parsley
- 4 oz. shredded carrots
- 1 lg. zucchini, shredded and drained (place in colander so the juices can drip away)
- 8 oz. fresh mushrooms, sautéed with shallot in butter/oil to release liquids
Prepare My Mama's Tomato Sauce or use other pre-made sauce.Cook pasta in salted water and when done, cold shock and drain well. In a separate bowl, combine half the sauce, 6 oz. of the mozzarella, 1/2 cup grated cheese, parsley, all of the ricotta, onion powder and egg with cold pasta. Add vegetables and pasta and mix well. Add more sauce depending on how moist you like it (remember it will absorb sauce during heating).
Pour into casserole or tin pan. Sprinkle with remaining cheeses, dot with sauce and bake, covered, in pre-heated 350-degree oven for about 15–20 minutes. Be sure to spray foil with cooking spray first so the cheeses won't stick. Once heated through, remove foil and broil for about 2 minutes to get top cheeses brown and bubbly. Let set about 5 minutes before serving so the cheeses can set up.