White Bean and Kale Soup with Sausage
- 1 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 3/4 lb. favorite fresh sausage, casing removed
- 1 1/2 tsp. kosher salt, divided
- 1 tsp. fresh ground pepper, divided
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 C. chopped fennel, fonds and core removed
- 1 zucchini, ends trimmed and diced
- 114.5-oz. can fire roasted crushed tomatoes (Glen Muir)
- 2 14-oz. can low sodium chicken broth
- 1 15-oz. can white beans/great northern beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 bunch kale, tough stems removed, cleaned and chopped
- 6 Tbs. grated parmesan cheese
In a 6-qt. heavy bottom pot, add the oil and heat over medium high heat. Add the onions and sauté for 3 minutes then add the sausage and brown while breaking into smaller pieces. Season with 1/2 tsp. salt and 1/2 tsp. pepper. Once sausage is cooked through, add the garlic, fennel and zucchini. Continue to sauté until the zucchini is softened, about 3-5 minutes. Season with 1/2 tsp. salt and 1/4 tsp. pepper. Add the tomatoes and chicken broth. Allow to simmer over medium heat for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Season with remaining 1/2 tsp. salt and 1/4 tsp. pepper. Add the beans and kale, stir to incorporate and allow to simmer for another 10 minutes. Taste and adjust seasonings if necessary.
Ladle into bowls and top with 1 Tbs. cheese.