Zabaglione and Fruit Compote with Verdi
- • 1 C. Verdi sparkling wine
- • 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- • 5 large egg yolks
- • 2 Tbs. light corn syrup
- • 6 Tbs. chilled whipping cream
- Fruit Compote
- • 2 large oranges
- • 1/2 small pineapple, peeled, cored [or 1 can of pineapple, drained]
- • 1 basket strawberries, hulled, quartered
- • 2 kiwis, peeled and diced
- • 1 pear, peeled, cored, and diced
- • 6 Tbs. chilled Verdi sparkling wine
- • 6 whole strawberries
Whisk Verdi, sugar, yolks, and corn syrup in large metal bowl to blend them together. Set the bowl over a saucepan of simmering water, but do not allow the bottom of the bowl to touch the water. Now the fun part - whisk the zabaglione mixture constantly until it has tripled in volume and thickens into a sauce [a candy thermometer should register 160°F]. This should take about 10 minutes. Remove from over water. Now, beat the zabaglione until it is completely cool, or about 5 minutes.
Beat cream to soft peaks in medium bowl. Fold cream into cooled zabaglione. Chill until ready to use.
Mix all of the fruit into a bowl with the chilled Verdi and allow it to marinate.
Spoon the fruit into 6 stemmed glasses. Top fruit with zabaglione, and garnish each serving with whole one of the strawberries and 1 tablespoon of the reserved fruit juice and Verdi.