Zany Zucchini Boats
- 8 zucchini, cut lengthwise
- 1 lb. ground turkey or chicken meat, cubed
- 1/4 C. plus 1/4 C. grated cheese
- 1/4 C. breadcrumbs (use whole wheat for more nutrition)
- 1/4 C. low or reduced fat mozzarella shredded
- 1 C. plus 1/2 C. tomato sauce
- 1/4 C. reduced or no fat ricotta (optional)
- 1/4 C. cooked rice (brown rice for more nutrition)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 Tbs. oil
- 4 grinds black pepper
- 5 fresh Basil leaves or 1 tsp dried
Slice zucchini in half lengthwise. Using a spoon, remove seeds (be careful not to go to far so that it holds the stuffing). Place zucchini on a microwavable plate (with high sides to catch the juices), upside down, with 1/4 C. water and drizzle of oil and place in microwave and cook for about 6 minutes. Remove from microwave (watch out they are hot!) and let cool in another plate or platter without juices. Set aside.In skillet, sauté meat oil until browned. Add onion and cook until tender. Drain liquids, add sauce and basil and heat through about 10 minutes. Add rice, pepper, ricotta (if using), ¼ cup grated cheese and mozzarella and mix well. In a separate bowl, combine breadcrumbs and remaining grated cheese. Stuff vegetables with meat mixture and sprinkle with breadcrumb mixture. Drizzle remaining sauce over top.
Place in oven at 350 degrees for about 10 minutes covered. Remove foil and then broil until golden. Any remaining meat mixture can be heated and served with crusty bread.