Zuppa de Farro
Serving Size / Yield
- 1 C. plus 2 Tbs. uncooked whole cereal farro grain or pearl barley (about 8 oz.)
- 4 ounces pancetta or deli ham, chopped
- 1 sm. onion, sliced (about 1/4 C.)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. dried thyme leaves, crushed
- 4 C. Swanson® Chicken Broth (Regular, Natural Goodness™ or Certified Organic)
- 2 med. plum tomatoes, chopped (about 1 C.)
- 1 Tbs. chopped fresh basil leaves
- 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
- Parmesan cheese (optional)
Place the farro in a large bowl. Add water to cover and let soak for 1 hour. Drain the farro in a strainer. Place the farro and 8 cups of water in a 6-quart saucepot and heat over medium-high heat to a boil. Reduce the heat to low. Cover and cook for 30 minutes. Drain and set aside. Add the pancetta, onion, garlic and thyme to the saucepot and cook over medium heat for 10 minutes or until the pancetta is well browned. Add the farro, broth, tomatoes, basil and black pepper and heat to a boil. Reduce the heat to low. Cook for 10 minutes. Serve with the cheese, if desired.
This recipe is brought to you by Campbell's®. Make Great Meals. Get Great Smiles. It's Amazing What Soup Can Do.